It’s officially that time of year again, so I felt my first recipe had to be one of my festive favourites.
Mulled wine is something that you come across in most bars and markets at this time of the year, but did you know it’s just as easy to make at home with only a few simple steps to follow?
To really impress your guests this Christmas, add some Disaronno for an additional kick… This drink tastes just like Christmas in a glass!
Let me know if you like my recipe & most importantly – Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves roughly 8)
4cm cube ginger (peeled and thinly sliced)
4 Cinnamon sticks (plus extra for serving)
½ tsp crushed cloves
½ cup demerara sugar
2 bottles red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Use a sharp knife or vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the large oranges in strips, being careful to remove only the orange part and leaving the pith behind. Once done, cut the oranges in half and juice into a large pot.
- Thinly slice the clementine’s into whole (round) slices and add to the pan, leaving the ends behind.
- Add the wine, orange peelings, cloves, cinnamon sticks, ginger and sugar to the pot with the orange juice and heat to a medium-high heat, until heated through but not boiling.
- Cover the pot and reduce to a medium-low heat for 45 minutes or so, until all flavours are brought together.
- You can either add the Disaronno to the mulled wine at this point, or add 25ml per serving later as required. Adjust sweetness by adding more sugar if needed.
- Strain and serve hot with a clementine slice and cinnamon stick.
- Enjoy in front of a cosy fire or Christmas tree!